Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Teachings

Teaching in a foreign country is quite challenging.

Last week, we started our HIV teachings at Mateves Secondary School and a nearby primary school, the name of which I do not know. I wish I had a picture to show the image of all the 120 staring faces the first time I entered the classroom. I'm not going to lie, I was quite nervous in the beginning. Aside from the language barrier and the difficulty to keep the some of the kids interested, things have gone great. I'm slowly learning what works well and what doesn't work well. It's surprising how some of the school activities that I loved as a kid, these kids love just as much (given I modify things here and there to account for such a huge class). Teachings have been very promising; I can really tell that some of the kids really really want to educate themselves about HIV/AIDS, and I am glad I can help them obtain the knowledge necessary to protect themselves. There have been a lot of interesting questions from the kids and a lot of misinformation..It's easy to see how incorrect information helps spread HIV. One of the kids did not know if a HIV pregnant mother could give HIV to her baby and another thought ARVs prevent you from infecting others with HIV...

On a lighter note, one of the funniest things that have happened so far involve a certain song we've taught the kids. Every class, we begin by singing a song with the kids that goes to the Ole Ole Ole tune. It goes:

Tujifunze Tujifunze, (Let's learn, let's learn)
Elimu ya Ukimwi. (Today about AIDS)

We repeat the song 3 times, each time increasing in volume and spirit. The kids really love this song and really get into the song. At the primary school last Tuesday, as we were leaving, the kids began singing the song. Jacob makes a quick sprint in the room and says something in Swahili. Right after that, the kids were screaming the song at the top of their lungs and jumping on their desks and clapping with all their might. It was crazy!


Side note to my mom: I got amoebas about 3 weeks ago because I did not wash my hands and ate dirty food so I got very bad diarrhea and a fever. I went to the hospital but the doctor tried to rip me off so I discharged myself and bought all the medication myself and I'm fine now. Sorry I did not tell you earlier, I did not want to worry you extra. I have many mosquito bites but am malaria free so far. Yay!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

120-kids class? You have more experience than I now.