Saturday, October 4, 2008

Endless Surprises

I had no idea it would be this hard to blog while being here. A huge part of me just wants to absorb everything to the fullest and keep it to myself so that when I go home, my memory would have encapsulated it all. Another part of me wants to share it all as I experience it so you all can feel what I've been feeling here. The introvert in me is winning.

One of the most memorable (not in a good way) moments so far took place at Samaritan Orphanage. We travel there two times a week to work and play with the kids there. My favorites are the babies. All they want, like all babies in the world, is to be held and coddled. Unfortunately, with one full-time Mama, there's no way all the babies get the attention they want and need. This one darling baby is named Josephat and I played with him a lot. During our time there on Thursday, I noticed the absence of reaction to the things around him. When other babies cry, he is unaffected. At first, I assumed he was calm and patient, like Bahati (the 1yr 7mo-old who helped inspire OHS' beginnings). However, after an hour or two, I realized that wasn't the case. A clap behind a baby's head yields a surprised blink, but a clap behind Josephat's head does absolutely nothing.

The boy is deaf.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand the confliction but I definitely agree that it's good that it's hard to blog. Soaking in another world and this experience is key, man. :) Miss you guys- reading these are so awesome! :)

ps. I had a dream after reading one of these that Michael was one of those Thai trannies and a Tanzanian fell in love with him. He was enamored with Mike. Sue, you got malaria in my dream and for some reason it resembled the hives. You didn't look so hot.

Anonymous said...

so sad

Anonymous said...

Do the orphans eventually find a home? In TZ? Or adopted outside of the country?