Wednesday, October 29, 2008

some verbal throw-up

I'm living a dream.


Life here is not dreamy in the usual sense of the word. I love it here for completely different reasons than reasons for loving it at home.

It's been so hard to blog or write lately. I want to make sure what I write and what I say accurately portrays my experience.

So how do I say this?

One of the kids I've been working with does not know how to write. He doesn't even know how old he is because he's been on the streets for just that long. For the past two weeks, I've gotten to know him better. He gets fed breakfast, lunch, and dinner in exchange for help washing Kilimanjaro tour buses. He wants to learn, but as any student would, gets frustrated. I ask him whenever it happens if he wants to learn. He always responds with a firm yes. Then I have his attention for the next five minutes.

A week ago, he stopped showing up to our MWF meetings. I thought, maybe he lost interest in learning to write (first the ABCs and then just his name), maybe he lost interest after I declined to give him my phone number, maybe he left town. I asked around and got "he's in town" as an answer. Until today.

Today, I was told that my friend is in jail. My friend who does not know his own age - my guess is 15 or 16. My friend. In jail. Why? Stealing? No, he's in jail for raping a woman. The friend who was telling me the news tells me it's not true. This friend is also one that frequently comes high on glue. I tell him thanks for letting me know and take a step back.  What now?

I have no answers.

Another kid I work with shows up today visibly upset. I ask once and he declines my offer to talk. I give him his space and let him be. After lessons and food, I sit with him to do some work. Then he starts to talk.

He tells me the story and proceeds to ask me not to share the story.

I felt bad and then I felt proud. He acted with maturity way beyond what I've seen and known. I'm so proud of him and wish I could share why. But take my word for it, this boy will go far in life regardless of my involvement.

On our way home today, I told Kate this: I think they've taught me more in the past four weeks than I can ever teach them.

And I think that's okay. Actually, I think that's amazing.

All of this is true, but I don't feel like this is an accurate portrayal. I also don't know what else to do. I'll keep trying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have similar feeling about my Bill Wilson's students.

Anonymous said...

sometimes just saying it with simple words portrays enough. as a matter of fact, reading those accounts of the kids gave me a strong sense of what you're doing with the kids and their behavior. Even if they're reluctant to learn or to do other things, your presence is already enough to give them a little more hope than they had yesterday.