Monday, October 6, 2008

2 posts in one week?!

...clearly the result of having internet on site.

And now I can't remember what I was going to post about. This weekend in town, I spent four hours trying to find a working ATM. Did I already blog about this? Here is my problem. There is so much going on and so little time to communicate it. I wish I could RSS feed you my brain waves. I think it'd be easier. Although blogging does make me sound more intelligent than a direct feed, I wouldn't mind cutting out the middle man - my fingers and consciousness.

The strong personalities are coming out. Some slowly peeping and others exploding out into the open. It has been a personal and communal struggle to deal with all the personalities whether clashing in strength or in character. But then again, this is bound to happen anywhere. Not really specific to being in TZ, but nonetheless, I think it is worth mentioning. Point mentioned, done.

Yesterday, I took the dala dala from town to site. (dala dalas are the main mode of transportation for locals here - vans packed with people pounding on the doors when they need to get off - wikipedia doesn't do it justice, but maybe some more googling will help) Well, to the main road that leads to site. The entire trip from the hostel in town to our site in the boonies took a total of an hour and a half. When we approached the dala dalas waiting on the side of the street, the drivers saw only $$$. Wazungus, or foreigners (or more technically, white people), always attract the same look. It's annoying and understandable at the same time. I dislike it, regardless. This driver actually kicked out three people originally in the dala to accomodate our needs. I guess that's how it goes.

Sitting next to Michael was a man who did not give the usual "I see Wazungu" look. After telling him our destination, he nodded understandingly. He had met with a mzungu and a mchina (a white man and a Chinese man) who were trying to buy a car. Joe and Stephen, that's you. Anyhow, he was super friendly and reminded me of how easily we are pointed out in this community. The way we conduct ourselves can leave a long-lasting impression and we should be careful with ourselves.

Um okay, lost my train of thought. I LOVE the comments though, thank you for continuing to read!! That's it for now, I guess. I'll try to upload more pictures soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

do they charge you, foreigners, more than local people? or they charge you more because you will have longer ride?

Yes, people see you as the American, or the Chinese. Since you are one of few they meet.

The Chiang Family said...

trying to buy a car?! interesting, and do you pay more than the others do? (asking b/c wondering why the dala dala driver would kick the others off...)

who provides internet? you're lucky your far far away... the financial community here is blowing up...

Stephen said...

Yes! Special mention! Did he care to mention how difficult he made it to buy that car? How much he tried to rip of us, and probably did in the end? Really glad you guys have experienced the daladala before most of the others.

Sue said...

In shops, store owners will charge more for us because we are foreigners. However, certain things are easy to set a price - once we know the proper price, it is not hard for us to ensure that price.

The driver kicked the others off because there was 5 of us and only 3 on-board. More guaranteed business, that's all!

The internet is provided on-site! I don't think it's much to have wi-fi by American standards.

And yes, we've heard about the financial situation. Pole! (aka I sympathize, in Swahili).

And no, no mention of tricky car buying strategy. =) I loved the daladala.

Anonymous said...

What are your sources of power? Any signs of solar panels?

Do you know that Chinese are born with "bargaining skills"? Use them in TZ to get better prices!