Saturday, September 20, 2008

Q & A

Will you feel guilty traveling to Zanzibar or safari knowing the the amount of money you spend on these activities could support an orphan to go to school for a year?

There is some guilt, but not to the point that would make me not go. My primary purpose of going to Tanzania is not to monetarily support orphans to attend school. Although my program fees contribute to the orphanage which will support a group of orphans to attend school, what I bring to Tanzania is information and friendship. Information as in the ability to help educate people about the transmission of HIV/ AIDS and friendship, as in I will extend my hand to those society has turn its back on and chose not to remember. Because of this, how I spend my money does not reflect my dedication to this cause. It would be foolish of me to not spend any money so I could send all my money to support these orphans. I have to take care myself as well and at this stage in my life, cannot dedicate my full efforts to this; especially when I have not even moved out and began supporting myself.

No comments: