Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thank You!!

P.S. (Pre-Script, in my world) This is a long one. So you get the main ideas before I bore you to death, here's a summary:
  • Still in America, but I've learned a lot already
  • People = kind and generous
  • Money = important
  • Dreaming = good
  • Realizing a Dream = Amazing
  • Everyone needs hope
  • HUGE thank you to everyone in my life - you all have been listeners, maybe unwilling, to my rambling, dreaming, ranting, and unending excitement



My journey to Tanzania is a long (and fortunately so) and exciting one. I have yet to leave California, but feel that I have learned so much from this experience already. From Day 1, I knew this would be a great challenge for myself, part because of the preparation and part because of the trip itself. And it is because of the challenge, that I strived to accomplish something new.

Days 1-5 upon acceptance were ones full of excitement, frustration, joy, and disappointment. Maybe I expected too much of my first-generation parents, but let me tell you, they were not happy. When I was home a few weeks prior, I told my dad of my application to One Heart Source and he was very supportive (maybe naively so). I thought my acceptance into the volunteer program would be similarly received. I was naive, too. My mom, who was not home during my visit, was shocked. Every phone call that week started calm and ended in tears. I thought, "This is it. Every kid has their pivotal argument with their parents and here is mine. Things will never be the same." It wasn't a fun week, but I was not about to give up this chance.

The people from OHS I had met at the introductory meeting weeks before blew my mind! They were truly inspirational. I loved their goals, their dreams, and saw myself working beside them. Almost two years into my college career, I was thrilled to meet a group of people I felt at home with. Don't get me wrong, I made good friends before this, but this felt too good to be true. I wasn't going to let it go.

Days 6-20 I rarely called home, in fear that a conversation about Africa would only yield to more argument and more dismay. The arguments had become repetitive, time consuming, and unproductive.

As the Calming Period came to an end, other goals surfaced. I had, for the time being, given up on convincing my parents that I was doing something good in this world, not ruining my life. Money was the next hurdle. Where was I, a full-time student and part-time tutor and shuttle driver, going to get $4500?

Then, there was the facebook event. And then countless messages, e-mails, and phone calls.

And somewhere out of this mess, you showed me great amounts of generosity. The monetary amount is not what surprised me. Almost FOURTY donors contributed to my Tanzania fund. Many more of you have helped in many other ways. Probing questions, insightful suggestions, worrisome cautions and lots and lots of encouragement and expressions of support have greatly helped me realize my dream. Thank you.

The journey from Point A (wanting to go to Africa) to Point B (going to TZ in just 24 days) has been a great one. Although there is a long and exciting journey ahead of me, the one so far has been amazing. I have surpassed my own expectations and am so excited to keep moving forward.

Planning for this trip has been my largest challenge yet. Playing tuba was tough, so was playing and then quitting rugby. This, tops it all. I wanted it more and it required more work than ever before. Hope, love, and lots of dedication has made this possible. Everyone needs hope. I believe we can bring hope to some of the orphaned children in Tanzania. I believe we will.



Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all of your help.

I can't wait to tell you more.

2 comments:

Sonya Kuo said...

SUE!

Aw, thanks for the letter in the mail =] I just read the entire blog so far, and I can't believe you are so close to going to Africa! I wish you all the best and I'll be reading your blog :D

Take care,
Sonya

Anonymous said...

you know realizing that you haven't even gone there yet and already you feel so much appreciate and have learned a lot...I just wonder and how altering you'll be after day 1 of Tanzania and when you return.

P.S. (post script to me) how will you blog from Tanzania w/o a bunch of modern day technology? I don't imagine there'll be close wi-fi spots...